Thought this might be useful to somebody: I'm p(o/a)sting my last reply to Mozy support after exchanging a couple of emails in a week or so, because I had problems with files restoration after my disk died.
All in all, the service is ok (until something even better comes along), most of the problems I've had were due to the discrepancy between my expectations and their actual service, however some are more of the "oh, we forgot to tell you before" variety. One thing I didn't mention below is that they have (except for the last email with incorrect instructions) quite good, prompt and friendly customer support. Of course, one would prefer not needing it...
on a more general note:
I managed to download and restore all my files after my disk failure, but it was quite an ordeal at times. I am not altogether pleased with the service, so let me just list some of the issues:
- occasional errors in files downloaded from the web restore tool (files can't be read) --> solution: retry later or with the other option and files are ok
- occasional errors in files downloaded with the client (files can't be read)
- no clear instructions and/or warnings about the specifics of web restore: there is no immediate access to the files, larger sets of files will be sliced into 1.7 GB set randomly
- this slicing of larger sets of files is a big pain, because one must manually search the end of one subset and match it to the next (or use a folder compare tool); how about putting files in multiple-file rars, which the user can download and then un-rar/combine easily?
- the permissions on my files were changed! This was also quite a pain, since I had to change them for every separate set I downloaded (this would also be easier if they would automatically be combined after download)
- server connection seemed to drop quite a lot when I was doing restores
To end on a more positive note:
- I like how your backup client works - it is really set&forget
- all my files were indeed backed up and (after a few tries) downloaded without errors
- it is great that you enable chronological sets, this is useful when searching once-deleted files
On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 06:04, Sandeep V
1. Please log in to web site https://mozy.com/login .
2. In the left-hand navigation, click Restore files.
3. Under "actions" you will see three download files.
Please let me know the results of the above mentioned steps.